DJ’s MacBook Pro catches fire in shocking video
Video of a MacBook Pro catching fire is getting a lot of views on Reddit and Twitter this morning showing a potentially deadly situation.
White Panda, a DJ from the U.S., posted video yesterday of his MacBook Pro a few minutes after the explosion happened. He claims it burst into flame while plugged into its charger.
Watch what happened:
My MacBook Pro exploded today during normal use. No injuries, luckily. Some damage to the house. Could have been worse – good thing I wasn’t on a plane.
Very curious to see how @Apple responds.@MacRumors @TechCrunch @9to5mac pic.twitter.com/pjmpv5Mx9b
— White Panda (@whitepanda) May 29, 2019
In his Reddit post, White Panda says he was using his 2015 MacBook Pro like normal when the incident occurred.
“It was on my lap, plugged in, and suddenly started to spew smoke out both sides. I quickly placed it on the floor where it popped, the smoke increased, and it caught fire,” explained White Panda on Reddit. “Toxic smelling smoke filled my house triggering smoke and CO alarms. No one was injured, thankfully, but there was some damage to my home.”
White Panda eventually got the MacBook Pro onto his porch using gloves and let it cool for an hour or so. He then took it to the Apple store for inquiry. The store put it in a fire-proof safe for 24 hours and then escalated the case up, saying they’d have more information within 5 days.
Exploding MacBook’s isn’t as common an issue as exploding smartphones so we’re curious if Apple will reveal the cause. A faulty third-party MacBook charger could be the culprit, or an expanding battery. White Panda says the trackpad and display were replaced by Apple at one point but no third-parties were involved.
Fortunately, the incident didn’t happen on a plane or it could have been a disaster. Unfortunately for White Panda, and his fans, the incident has put a dampener on his ability to make music and the remix he was working on is literally fire.