Google Stadia Coming in November: Price, games list, supported devices and more
Google revealed the key details of Stadia, it’s game streaming service on 6 June 2019 at 9.30 pm IST. The cloud gaming platform was first announced back in March at the Gaming Developers Conference in San Francisco. The silicon valley giant had conveniently left the pricing, availability, and supported games back then. Ever since then, gamers were on their toes to know the details. We finally have them.
Before diving into the details, let’s skim through the basics.
Google Stadia: What is it and How it works?
Stadia is Google’s venture into the cloud gaming service that would enable cross-screen gameplay across TVs, laptops, desktops, tablets and mobile devices using the Stadia controller, mouse, and keyboard, as well as many HID-compliant game controllers.
Unlike gaming consoles, you don’t require high-end pricey hardware setup. Instead, you play the game on the cloud via Chrome browser, Chromecast Ultra, and Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a phones using Stadia app. No storage consumed as neither the full game is downloaded nor installed.
Or you could buy Google’s Stadia Controller, a device that lets you wirelessly connect with the company’s data centers and enjoy the games online.
AlSO READ: Apple WWDC 2019 Key Highlights: iOS 13, Mac Pro, MacOS 10.15, tvOS 13 and more
As for latency, Google claims Stadia could support up to 4K at 60 fps over an internet connection with approximately 25Mbps of bandwidth, and it’s planning to support up to 8K resolutions and 120 fps in the future.
Google Stadia draws the processing power from its data centers aided by a custom AMD GPU. Google claims the chip will deliver 10.7 teraflops of power, which is more than the combined processing might of PS4 Pro (4.2 teraflops) and Xbox One X(6 teraflops). Each Stadia instance will also be running on a custom 2.7GHz x86 processor with 16GB of RAM.
Google Stadia: Games List
The success of every gaming platform is directly attributed to the collection of games it supports. Although Stadia is not a console like PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, gamers would be drawn towards Google’s new initiative primarily for the games. So, let’s see what does Google has up its sleeve.
List of games confirmed to be available for Google Stadia:
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- Baldur’s Gate 3
- Borderlands 3
- Darksiders Genesis
- Destiny 2
- Doom 2016
- Doom Eternal
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Farming Simulator 19
- Final Fantasy XV
- Football Manager
- Get Packed
- Gylt (exclusive)
- Just Dance
- Metro Exodus
- Mortal Kombat 11
- NBA 2K
- Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
- Rage 2
- Samurai Shodown
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint
- Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
- Trials Rising
- The Crew 2
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Google Stadia and Stadia Controller: Price
Google Stadia would be available in three tiers:
- Stadia Base- This is the free option that delivers up to 1080p resolution with a frame rate of 60fps. The prerequisite is a 10Mbps internet connection to play the games online. Google is yet to disclose the price of individual gaming titles.
- Stadia Pro- This is a premium option wherein you pay $9.99 (Rs. 690 approx) a month to avail free games and exclusive discounts, in addition to the purchased titles. Google has also bundled the entire Destiny 2 collection. You are required to have a 5Mpbs connection. This comes with a slightly bumped up performance. You’ll get up to 4K HDR resolution with a frame rate of 60 fps at 5.1 Surround Sound.
- Stadia Founder’s Edition- This is a comprehensive package whereby you pay $129 (Rs 8,900 approx) one time and avail three-months Stadia Pro subscription. You also get additional goodies like a Chromecast Ultra, a limited edition night blue Stadia Controller, a three-month Buddy Pass to bring a friend along and a chance to selecting a Stadia name. If you’re interested, you could pre-order it at the Google Store.
Stadia Controller is priced at $69.99 (Rs 4,800 approx).
Google Stadia: Availability
Starting November this year, the premium tiers will be available in the following 14 countries: the US, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.
India is currently missing from the list. However, the company has promised the expansion to more countries by the coming year.
ALSO READ: Apple introduces Apple Card, News Plus, Arcade Gaming Service, Apple TV Plus
The free Stadia Base tier would be available in 2020. And waiting could be a virtue for gamers as more Android phones and even iPhones, Apple products, and Rokus may come under its umbrella. Google envisions to push the envelope going forward. With the advent of 5G, Stadia could run on the go as well.
As for Stadia Controller, you could buy it later this year in three color variants – Just Black, Clearly White and Wasabi.
Google Stadia Pricing and Availability
|Territory||Founder’s Edition||Stadia Pro (monthly)||Stadia Controller|
Source: The Verge
Let’s see how does Google’s foray into the cloud thrive against the competition. Apart from smooth gaming performance, gamers would eye on whether Google manages to stack more gaming titles into the catalog.